Sunday, October 16, 2011

45mm in the Forest

45mm in the Forest by Rollofunk
45mm in the Forest, a photo by Rollofunk on Flickr.

The Panasonic 14-45mm zoom has been my standard outdoor lens for as long as I've had it, but for today's daytrip to out local national park I decided to try out the new Olympus 45mm f1.8 glass in hiking conditions. Overall I was pleasantly surprised how versatile it is. Didn't feel I missed any shot because of the restricted focal length, and in today's cloudy weather and flat lowish light the bright f1.8 and narrow depth of focus kept things interesting. The autofocus was not quite foolproof, but in thick forest with plenty of branches and stuff to fool it I'd call the results good enough, and there's always the possibility to use manual focus too. So, the lens is a good piece of outdoor glass too, it seems. Not perhaps the only lens to take on a hike, but certainly good enough to bring along.

No comments: